twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

French Open Day 9 Men's Review


French Open: Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic booked their passage into the last eight of the French Open on Monday.

Four-time champion Nadal was stunned by an inspired Robin Soderling in round four 12 months ago, but despite a defiant display on Philippe Chatrier Court, young Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci was unable to repeat the feat.

Despite creating a similar number of break points as his illustrious opponent, the 24th seed was ultimately beaten in straight sets, 6-2 7-5 6-4, as Nadal set up a last-eight clash with Nicolas Almagro.

Nineteenth seed Almagro set up a repeat of his 2008 quarter-final against Nadal by beating Fernando Verdasco 6-1 4-6 6-1 6-4 on Suzanne Lenglen Court.

Almagro, 24, was thrashed 6-1 6-1 6-1 by Nadal two years ago but has taken a set off the world number two in each of their last two meetings, including at this month's Madrid Masters.

Despite Nadal having won all 19 of his matches on clay this year, Almagro said: "If I thought he was unbeatable, I'd pack up and go home.

"I know how to attack him. I did so in Madrid, and at many times of the match. So I'll continue on the same track.

"I do think that this is going to be a much longer match than in Madrid, so I have to be very much focused during the entire match.

"I need to play my best tennis, which is probably what I did today."

Novak Djokovic claimed his second-set slump against Robby Ginepri was down to him not being a "morning person".

Four the third time in four matches at Roland Garros, world number three Djokovic did not have it all his own way early on against Ginepri.

But the Serb eventually woke up to seal a 6-4 2-6 6-1 6-2 victory on Philippe Chatrier and set up a quarter-final against 22nd seed Jurgen Melzer.

"I'm really not a morning person, so it took a lot of time for me to get into the rhythm and warm up basically for the match," Djokovic said.

"He was very aggressive from the start. He played well. I was lucky to pull out that first set in my favour.

"Second set, as usual in these tournaments, went the other way for my opponent.

"Unfortunately, I lost focus. But I overcame it.

"With that kind of game I showed in the third and fourth set, I think I have a good chance against anybody on the court now."

Melzer ended Russian qualifier Teimuraz Gabashvili's remarkable run with a 7-6 (8/6) 4-6 6-1 6-4 victory on Suzanne Lenglen.

World number 114 Gabashvili had not dropped a set en route to the last 16 and completed an embarrassingly one-sided third-round win over Andy Roddick on Saturday.

But despite producing another flurry of winners, he made almost as many unforced errors as the experienced Melzer held sway to reach his first grand slam quarter-final at the age of 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment