twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Frings still hurt by Germany exclusion


1. FC Nuernberg v Werder Bremen - Bundesliga

Torsten Frings says he still has not digested his exclusion from the Germany squad, even though he has known for over five months that he was surplus to requirements.

The Werder Bremen midfielder was informed in a one-to-one meeting with Germany coach Joachim Low in January that his international career, at least for as long as Low remains in charge, is over.

There has been no way back, even when Simon Rolfes, Michael Ballack and Christian Trasch picked up injuries recently, and Frings admits he is upset with how his Germany career was brought to such an end.

"I am disappointed, not because of the current events, but for the way in which I was dealt with," he told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

"To cut me off in a quick chat in January, without any official farewell, that hurt and it still hurts now.

"I am done with the national team. I have no contact whatsoever with the national team coach."

Nevertheless, Frings still believes he would be deserving of a place in the squad which flies to Germany next weekend.

"In view of my overall ability, I should be included," he added.

When asked if he felt he was better than the players who have been nominated, he said: "I have an opinion, but I don't want to say anything bad about the lads.

"I am keeping my fingers crossed that they win the World Cup.

"My aim was to help them out, even if I was only back-up. I would have ended my international career after the World Cup anyway, but in a decent manner, not just in passing.

"Not in the way in which it has happened."

Frings will now follow events on television back home in Germany and, although he hopes things work out well, he remains sceptical.

"The whole structure is on very weak foundations," he said. "Isn't there a lack of young and old, talented and experienced?

"I know what is required in such a tournament.

"I am keeping my fingers crossed for the lads, but who, apart from (Philipp) Lahm or (Per) Mertesacker is going to be able to intervene if things are not quite right in the team?

"It is going to be tough against the likes of England, Argentina or Spain. You need strength in the tackle and tournament experience in those kind of games."

No comments:

Post a Comment