twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Monday, May 24, 2010

Neville: I'll never retire from England


World Cup news: Gary Neville

Gary Neville has asserted that he will never call it quits in his international career and will always be available for his country.

That is despite admitting his disappointment in missing out on England's World Cup squad, even though he has been in fine form for his club this season and was strongly tipped to make a return to the England setup.

The Manchester United defender, who is only one cap away from being England's most capped full-back, maintains he has no complains and will avail himself to his country as long as he is fit to play.

"If this is the end with England, I've no complaints," he told The Times.

"But, yes, I'll be available for selection as long as I'm playing football."

The 35-year-old also went on to rubbish the idea of international retirement, calling it an 'empty gesture', and believes that only the manager is allowed call it a day for a player's international career.

"I always said that I would never retire and I don't go along with international retirements, that's my stance. I respect the decisions of those who bow out because they feel they've given their all or for family reasons. That's what works for them.

"But I remember one player announcing his retirement about a year and a half after he'd last played. It's an empty gesture.

"As far as I'm concerned, it's the England manager who should retire players. They retire you. Maybe others haven't enjoyed it like me. Some don't want to be away and that's their agenda, their way of looking at it. But that's not me or what I believe in. I do think it's an honour."

Neville concluded by expressing his love for his country and sees no reason why he should not represent it.

"Playing for England is hard at times, you have to be very thick-skinned about it," he added.

"But that's life and you have to remind yourself you are following a great tradition and a great line of players. I live in this country, I love this country. Why would I not want to represent it?

No comments:

Post a Comment